The Public Library for Union County is a great place to work, and we occasionally have opportunities for part-time employment. We also have a continuing need for volunteers. There are currently no employment opportunities available.
To view employment opportunities with the Union County Library System, click here.
Public Library for Union County
Job Title: Building Maintenance
The position provides general building oversight to maintain the library building and grounds in accordance with applicable safety rules and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following list is representative of the typical duties and responsibilities performed. The employee’s actual duties and responsibilities may vary slightly depending on department needs and individual assignments.
- Schedules, coordinates and oversees routine building maintenance performed by contracted vendors
- Troubleshoots and repairs minor plumbing and electrical problems; replaces a variety of light bulbs and lighting accessories
- Maintains building supply inventory and submits written requests for supplies
- Checks building at beginning and end of shifts
- Performs touch up and finish painting
- Sets up and tears down chairs, tables and equipment in meeting rooms
- Clears snow from entrances and walkways
- Changes filters in HVAC system as needed
- Clears debris from gutters in spring and fall
- Maintains appearance of grounds through regular weeding, pruning and removal of debris
- Washes windows once a year
- Operates equipment such as pressure washer, hand and power tools
- Repairs furniture and equipment as needed
- Completes special projects as assigned
Education and Experience
Should possess a high school diploma or equivalent. Previous maintenance experience is preferred. Background in construction trades is desirable. .
Must work effectively in and around the public; understand and carry out oral and written directions; maintain cooperative relationships; operate manual and power equipment; work with and dispose of hazardous materials. Possess a valid Class C Pennsylvania driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record. Act 34 and Act 151 clearances
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform successfully the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to speak and hear at a conversational level, use hands to handle objects, stand or sit for long periods of time, lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, reach, bend, stoop, climb, kneel or crouch. The employee is frequently required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and traverse stairs. Occasionally, the employee is required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Generally, duties are performed in a climate-controlled environment, but the employee is exposed to outside weather and uncomfortable fluctuations in temperature within the building.